Monday 1 April 2013

Mukombe’s fight to get to the top



Change is a subject many try to avoid because of unforeseen repercussions. But when fate forces it upon you, it is hard to escape. Instead of sitting back and letting life pass him by, Prince Ronnie Mukombe, a champion of adult education took change by the horns to transform his life and that of his three siblings.
The 32-year-old president of Makerere University’s Journalism and Communication Association (MUJCA) dropped out of school in senior one in 1994 after his father died. Then, he was studying at Makobore High School on a bursary programme after topping Rukungiri district with aggregate four in his Primary Leaving Examinations (PLE).
Owing to the fact that his mother, an illiterate housewife, had no means of fending for the family, his elder brother joined the army. But Mukombe chose to painstakingly job hunt in order to fend for his younger siblings, a decision that made him come to Kampala in 1995.
“When I came to Kampala, I lived a hard knock life- sleeping in trenches and eating off garbage heaps. But every-morning, I would look for a job until a Good Samaritan noticed my politeness, discipline and intelligence and took me on,” he recalls. 

This Samaritan enrolled him as a casual labourer at Owen Engineering Limited where he has since risen through the ranks to become the company’s technical manager.

BACK TO SCHOOL
In 2005, Mukombe, a resident of Bwaise, was enrolled at Heritage College in Kawempe as an S.2 student. While here, he paid his school fees using the savings he had accumulated from his work over the years.
“Knowing what a quick head I was, my childhood friend Richard Ssentongo gave me Shs 200,000 as a reward when he learnt that I had decided to go back to school,” he says.
Later, during his Senior Four examinations, he was blessed with sponsors from New Zealand who promised to pay his fees for the advanced level education. Mukombe then joined Makerere Day and Evening School for Adults (MAECA) for his A-level. However, the fight was still tough.
“I had to study and work and it was tough because school was so demanding. What a person would have studied in two years, I had to study in 14 months,” he says.
Nevertheless, he beat these odds to get 21 points and was admitted to Makerere University to do a Bachelor of Journalism and Communication in 2010. He is currently a third year student. He hopes to rejoin Makerere to study a Bachelor of Law after his first graduation.
When I joined university, I realised there was a bit of whispering about me here and there. But I quickly made friends and most of them liked me; the reason why they have kept voting me as the president of the journalism association,” Mukombe says.
He adds that there is a lot of sacrifice one has to make in terms of cost and time as one has to juggle between work, family and school. During his tenure at MAECA, he worked at the garage from 6 am to 9am and attended class between 9pm and 12pm, after which he would go back to work.
Mukombe blames the unpopularity of adult education to poor attitudes of the community. When he decided to go back to school, his greatest encourager-his 86 year old grandmother asked him when he would ever finish school and get a family. To her, Mukombe was answering a tough and unnecessary call. 

 ACHIEVEMENTS
Together with some of his friends, they started the ‘Youth Evangelical Society-Uganda Chapter in 2005. We encourage people to drop addictions and also helping them realize that there is no age limit of studying.
Says Mukombe: “I remember when I first joined MAECA; I was the youngest and was thus used as an errand boy. The clarion call that I make everywhere I go is that it is never too late.”
He is also a participant in different forums like the ‘Climatic Debate’, Uganda Ideas and Makerere Debating Union- a flagship association that promotes and advocates for dialogue in terms of peace and conflict resolution.
“We do not look at ‘weeee…weee….’ as a solution. We believe that we can resolve issues affecting students in a diplomatic and calm way,” he explains.
Today, he is also proud of his siblings who have made it in life. His sister is currently studying her third degree at Makerere University while his brother works in South Africa’s department of Security.
 NEVER TOO LATE
“I would rather that adults embrace education in order to acquire entrepreneurial skills and develop themselves than the urge of just getting certified papers. But it is never too late to go back to school!”
ninsiima@observer.ug

1 comment:

  1. Wooow...Ronnie what a story underlying that great debater that you are! Head up my friend. Good piece Racheal!

    ReplyDelete